Re: many problems with rxvt

--- "Raju K. V." <rajukv@wipinfo.soft.net> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I downloaded the rxvt from
> http://www.io.com/~bub/dnload/rxvt-2.6PRE2-w32x.tgz
>
> I also created a shortcut in my desktop with the command line as
> C:\raju\bin\rxvt.exe  -fg white -bg black -fn "-*-Courier-bold-r-*-13-*"
> -e bash -login
>
> Here are some of the problems that I face.
>
> 1. When I run this I get a dos window which gets converted to the rxvt
> after sometime. How to disable this dos window?

The only solution I can think of is to create a shortcut and modify the
properties of the shortcut to pass the arguments.

> 2. Though bash runs, my .bashrc does not get executed.

It's because of the -login switch.  When this switch is specified the
/etc/profile file is sourced if it exists.  I don't think the -login switch is
needed so remove it or create a /etc/profile that just sources the ~/.bashrc
file.

> 3. cannot redirect stderr to a file

Don't know about this one.  I suppose that it has to do with rxvt not having it
open or piped correctly.  You'll have to look at the sources for the answer to
this.

> Can anybody help me out?
>
> BTW, rxvt runs without an X server. I think, this is because the
> Xlibraries are linked statically with the application. Why cant all other
> X based utilities be made in a similar manner?

This port is actually a port.  The porter created a psuedo Xlib that emulates
the calls required for rxvt using the Win32 API.  I've often thought about this
question myself but haven't had the time to investigate it.  It sure would be
nice to have such a library.  Does anyone know of any current works in this area?
===
"Earnie Boyd" <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>
CYGWIN RELATED HELP:
 DOCUMENTATION: <http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/docs.html>