PowerPC and GCC!!

I am relatively new at this and am trying to compile a simple program for
my target PowerPC 604.  Ime using the Win32 Cygwin GCC and stuff, but I
have no idea how to compile for the 604.  When I try the "-mpowerpc'  I get
"Invalid Option:  powerpc".  "-mcpu=604" yields "cc1.exe: bad value (604)
for -mcpu= switch".  Do I need additional libraries to compile to my 604?
 libgcc.a?  I bet this is a relatively simple question, but any and all
advice or locations where I could get advice would be extremely helpful.
Thank you very much.

David Kirtley