Re: various 'cywin1.dll' tested with PERL's 'Configure' script.

Samy Alex ZAIMI wrote:

> Some people can tell me that I can install the
> full compiled binary distribution of PERL from
> C.Wilson (instead of compiling it localy), but do
> they know that this distro has still some hidden
> imperfections ? For instance, in the file
> '/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/cygwin32/config.pm',
> some variables have empty settings like :
> mv, tail, tar, zcat, bash, bison, chgrp, chown,
> chmod, flex
> or very strange ones, like 'ranlib' being set to
> ':' !
> This comes from the Configure procedure, which
> still made some mistakes.

Not everything weird is a mistake. I can't explain all of the empty
settings in config.pm, but 'ranlib' = ':' is done purposefully. If you
look in the Configure script, you'll see that ':' is used to signify
that either (a) ar does random libraries by itself, so there is no need
to use a ranlib, or (b) random libraries are not supported and that
'lorder' and 'tsort' will be used to order the libs.

Does this distro have hidden imperfections? Well, I don't know - if I
did know about them they wouldn't be hidden! :-) I can say that all of
the imperfections (I'll call 'em "bugs") that I've found are documented
in the README.cygwin32 file.

--Chuck (aka C.Wilson)

P.S. Sorry for the delay in responding to your email; I've been offline
for a week.