Re: odd 'configure' problems

> You say Cygwin, but I also see things pointing to Mingw includes. I'm
> a bit confused.

Earnie Boyd also mentioned this to me.  Mea culpa; I did not realize
that the split between the two systems was that significant.  Let me
try again:  :-)

    - I installed Cygwin B20.1 (the "full.exe" with the compiler)
    - Then I installed Mingw32 over that, as documented on the web
    - Then I made Mingw32 the default, as documented

I guess I should say that all the tools are Cygwin, with their required
cygwin1.dll, but the compiler produces -mno-cygwin stuff by default.

> A typical problem when using Cygwin gcc to produce Mingw code (ie.,
> the now-famous -mno-cygwin mode) happens when your testcase includes
> a file that DOES NOT exist in the Mingw includes, but DOES exist in
> the Cygwin includes. What happens is that you get wrong, or at best
> confused, results. See my -mno-cygwin-howto for more info
> (http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/).

Been there, done that.  :-)

> Either way, test for mmap should do the right thing. Can you please
> send me the autoconf test script that checks for mmap? Autoconf is
> not infallible of course. Feel free to email it to me directly.

Done.  I don't know where caddr_t is supposed to be typedef'd, but
my guess would be sys/types.h.  I'll assume that I'm getting the
"wrong" sys/types.h for now.

> > The second problem is looking for malloc.h.  This file is present but
> > is incorrectly reported as missing, because one of its sub-includes is
> > not being found:
>
> This is a bug in the mingw32 headers distributed with Cygwin b20.1. You
> can replace those headers with the one I distribute with egcs-1.1.2 for
> mingw32. See:
>
>   ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/runtime/
>
> Here's a patch for the malloc.h problem:

This is ironic.  I had replaced (or thought I had) those headers a few
months ago, but then ran into a problem caused by malloc.h including
alloc.h!  The posted solution at the time was to remove alloc.h and allow
the compiler to find the Cygwin version.

So when I went to apply your patch, I tunneled way down into the Cygwin
directory structure, and found that mingw32/include/alloc.h was there,
but had been renamed into "Mumit_Khan_says_to_rm_alloc.h" just in case
I needed it.  :-)

After this patch, HAVE_MALLOC_H is correctly diagnosed.  Thanks!

Phil