file-system layout in b20.2+ [Re: yikes, what are these?]

cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com writes:

> What I'm trying to say, is that, with the possible exception of bison
> (which will be fixed in the next release) nothing should be relying
> on builtin path names using the funky H-*/i-* subdirectory structure.
> Feel free to move things into more UNIX-friendly locations.
>
> In fact, that's what we'll be doing in the next release.

Chris,

Thanks for the good news. It's never too late to do the right thing ;-)

What I would like to see is that Cygwin installs to a virtual root that
can be anywhere on the physical disk.

I really don't want c:/usr etc on my disk, but would rather have the
choice to do the following: install Cygwin b20.2+ to /cygwin/cygwin-b20.2
and the installer set that to be '/'. If I want to switch to 20.1, I
can simply change the key (via env var or registry, whichever works),
and (and perhaps reboot or kill all running Cygwin apps) and go.

AT&T UWIN does something similar, grossly speaking, and that setup works
surprisingly well.  A good feature just waiting to be "re-used".

Regards,
Mumit