Re: _ctype_ again (long)

Samy Alex ZAIMI <zaimi@kiwi.iamp.tohoku.ac.jp> writes:
> Hello,
> I have a problem with _ctype_. This problem was
> already described early this year on this list,
> but since then new versions of compilers appeared,
> so I need some updates for possible solutions.
> So, here is my story :
> 1. I have installed cygwin-20.1 from december
> 1998,
> 2. I have installed the 15Jan99-cygwin1.dll
> snapshot only,
> 3. I have installed Mumit's egcs v1.1.2, from
> 17.03.99 (also known as 2.91.66),

Ah, this has been discussed quite a few times already. The dev
snapshots have different representations for certain types such
as those in <ctype.h> etc, and you need to rebuild *all*
libraries that use <ctype.h> etc with the new dev headers. In
this particular case, it means that you'll have to rebuild the
runtime libraries. I don't remember off-hand the use what else
will necessitate a rebuild.

The next cygwin is not supposed to break binary compatibility of
existing binaries, but it'll surely break binary compatibility at
the object level (ie., you'll have to rebuild quite a bit of
existing objects code). For beta software like Cygwin, this is
quite reasonable and to be expected IMO.

Regards,
Mumit