Re: Dlls @n symbols

>From: Mumit Khan <khan@xraylith.wisc.EDU>
>To: Emanuele ALIBERTI <ealiberti@hotmail.com>
>CC: cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com
>Subject: Re: Dlls @n symbols
>Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 14:23:58 -0500

(sorry for the late reply: I was off line because of work)

>The reason to have "clean" names in the export list is simple -- so you
>can use LoadLibrary. If you only need to use LoadLibrary, then you can
>use the clean names. So have both in the export list! What's the big deal?

Since I am rewriting an existing library, it is a big deal. Not in general.

>One way to achieve both is the following (and that's how MSVC developers
>do this in case you're interested): Have two different export def files,
>one for creating the DLL, and the other for creating the import library.
>When creating the DLL, use the aliasing mechanism to get only clean names;
>when creating the import library, using Foo@<n> etc and use -k to have
>@<n> linkable symbols that point to export symbol without the @<n>, ie.,
>the "clean" names.

I was going that way, but that seemed the last chance, because I would have
to maintain two files. Probably I will write a simple preprocessor that
generates the DEF with aliases from the traditional DEF. Thank you for the
explanation of the real use of the -k option.

>Let me ask the same question I had the last time -- can you do what you
>want with MSVC? If so, how?

I don't know if it is possible: I use it only from the IDE, but the dll I
build that way have a clean exports table.

>If you feel like it's not doing the right thing, please feel free to
>start digging into binutils sources and see if you can help improve
>it.

Who are the developers of dlltool? I don't know if I can contribute, but
there is also the names in the exports table as "symbolic link" problem that
still waits for a solution.

-e-