./configure => 'file not found'

I had been using b19.x for some time, but finally decided to upgrade to b20.
I've been
gradually setting up things that I use regularly, but hadn't tried to compile
anything yet.

Finally, this afternoon I decided to test compiling with gnu hello.

But   here is what happens (cut and paste from my bash session):

bash-2.02$ ls
COPYING         TAGS            getopt1.c       hello.info      mkinstalldirs*
ChangeLog       alloca.c        gpl.texinfo     hello.ky        testdata
INSTALL         configure*      hello.c         hello.pg        texinfo.tex
Makefile.in     configure.in    hello.cp        hello.texi      version.c
NEWS            getopt.c        hello.cps       hello.tp
README          getopt.h        hello.fn        hello.vr
bash-2.02$ ./configure
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
bash-2.02$

On the other hand, I have a shell script set up to start emacs with the
environment I
want it to have, and when I invoke a copy of it  with ./startemacs  it works
fine.

?

(I'm on NT 4.0 SP3, and have replaced the original cygwin1.dll with the 19990115
 version.)

I'm sure its something obvious, but I can't find it.

Thanks,

John Velman