Re: xterms and vi

>>I've got the X11R6.4 client libs downloaded and installed, and am trying
>>run vi within an xterm.  The problem is that programs like vi (and ftp)
>>don't do their I/O in the xterm, they do it in the DOS window associated
>>with the xterm.
>>
>>I've set CYGWIN32 (and CYGWIN) to be 'binmode tty', and have an entry in
my
>>termcap file for xterm (although the symptom appears no matter what type
of
>>terminal I've set TERM to be).

>It sounds like you've forgotten to use cygwin versions of ftp and vi.  It's
>unlikely that windows-only versions of those programs will work with the
>CYGWIN=tty scheme.

Why is that unlikely?  I mean, can we make an "xterm" which acts both as a
tty for Cygwin tools, *and* as a DOS console window for DOS applications?

I am researching this because we use CYGWIN for our development environment
but we use pure Windows for the run-time environment, and we use
Activestate's
Perl.  But, running "perl -d ..." sends all the debugging output/control to
the originating DOS window, which doesn't work too well.

I've played with the code for rxvt (using the DOS xlib.c emulation for
Windows)
but I know very little about Window's Consoles.

Can you provide me with some information in this area?  I think an rxvt
which
could fully replace the "DOS command prompt" for both normal DOS and Cygwin
work would be a nice addition to your product - and I'd be glad to help
develop it :).

Geoff