Re: perl problems

Markus Hoenicka wrote:

> [...]

> I downloaded your patches and the perl sources, went ahead to build it,
> and make test actually doesn't look that bad, only a few failures as
> mentioned in your README.cygwin32.
>
> make install also runs without problems. When I try to run the dtdparse
> scripts, the result is exactly the same as with the binary distribution:
>
> Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/cygwin32/auto/IO/IO.dll' for
> module IO:
>  126 at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/cygwin32/DynaLoader.pm line 169.
>
> So this leaves me totally clueless, unfortunately.
>
> [...]

I recently built 5.005_03 from pristine sources without applying either
the dynamic or static patch Chuck maintains.  I'm still running the
ancient cygwin b18 and it worked fine.  However I did have a problem
similar to yours after the first build, which was done with dynamic
belonged, and there were no complaints during the build, but DynaLoader
just didn't work.  I can't really be much help explaining why -- I just
use this stuff, I don't understand it.  :-(   But it all went away when
I built perl without dynamic loading.  I've had no problems with the
handful of "non-standard" modules that have been installed.  So, unless
you specifically need it, you might want to ignore the default "y"
answer to dynamic loading (from hints/cygwin.sh in the perl source) and
build it statically.

Hope this helps.

 - Don