Re: Re[4]: Importing a variable from a DLL

Paul Sokolovsky <paul-ml@is.lg.ua> writes:

>     I am still feeling misunderstood. Let me go with it once again,
> with examples.
>
>     So, dlltool has ability to create implib from def - it's all nice
> with it, it supports DATA, sure.

No, no, I do get your point. And, it's a very good one that I had
ignored earlier in this thread.

I'm currently adding changes to GCC so that exported data items have
the correct "data" tag in the .drectve section. This will enable us
to handle this in dlltool and dllwrap when the import libraries are
created. I'll hopefully test the gcc and dlltool changes this weekend
(it's pretty trivial).

With this change, you can do the following:

  /* dll file. */
  __declspec(dllexport) int exported_var;
  __declspec(dllexport) void exported_fund () { }
  /* end dll file. */

  $ gcc -c dll.c
  $ dllwrap -o foo.dll --output-lib libfoo.a dll.o

Now the import library will have what Paul suggests.

Regards,
Mumit