ls/du (stat?) speed...

Thanks to everyone for telling me why there is no such thing as a "public" SMTP server, by the way.  I feel pretty lame, but I've never given much thought to spam before.  I guess it's because of organizations like ORBS that I haven't had to give it much thought before...

Anyways, now to my main question.  Obviously, cygwin ls & du are considerably slower than, say, Linux with an ext2 filesystem on the same system.  I think it's because the "stat" function under cygwin has to call a number of Win32 functions to get the standard Unix functionality.  It also has to do mount table lookups and path conversion.  Essentially, there's a bunch of stuff that probably just works better under "real Unix".

While I agree that correctness is the most important thing, I was wondering if there might be any way to speed things up.  I saw that there's a CYGWIN variable called "ntea" that tells the library to use NT attributes for things.  This seems to stop the library from opening every file and seeing if the first two characters are "#!" to check for executability, but I haven't really seen any speedup result from setting this.

I guess I have two questions:

1.  Is there any way to speed things up with the current library?

2.  If not, what can I do to help to speed things up?  I have already built a debuggable version of the DLL and "du.exe", so I think I'm ready to help.

Thanks in advance!
- Ken.
ken_coleman@iname.com