Re: snap-shots questions ?

From the http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/snapshots/ page.

-BEGIN-QUOTE-
Cygwin Nightly Snapshots

Please read the notes at the bottom of this page. These snapshots have not been
tested. These are automatically built and packaged each night. The only
guarantee is that it built on my machine (there is no snapshot if the build
fails).

Warning: use Shift-click or right click to download the *.gz files if you try
just clicking and see junk text in your web browser.

Note: The Jan 15 1999 snapshots has been saved on sourceware as it is the last
snapshot before the mount changes, and it fixes the Windows 95 "make page
faults"
bug.

winsup-src-*.tar.gz   sources in the winsup directory
cygwin1-*.dll.gz      stripped and compressed cygwin1.dll
cygwin-inst-*.tar.gz  directory from "make install" (dll, exes, libs, headers,
etc)
cygwin-src-*.tar.gz   all sources needed to build cygwin1.dll (winsup, newlib,
etc)
-END-QUOTE-

-BEGIN-QUOTE-
Notes

Cygwin snapshots are intended for cygwin developers only unless you have been
specifically told to try one of these. You are a cygwin developer if you are on
the cygwin developer's mailing list, have downloaded the cygwin sources, and
built cygwin1.dll from them.

Please attempt to fix bugs before reporting them (but do report them if you
can't fix them). Bug reports, fixes, and patches should go to the developers
list in "diff -p -c3" or "diff -p -u3" format.

Snapshots are as of the end of the given day, Eastern Standard Time. Thus, the
1999-Sep-26 snapshot would include all the work done on 1999-Sep-26.
Snapshots are built every day, unless there are no changes or the build fails.
Full src/inst tarballs are never generated more than once every five days.

These snapshots are completely unsupported. They are provided as a service to
the members of the Internet community who help us develop cygwin. The official
home page of cygwin is on sourceware.cygnus.com

winsup-src-*.tar.gz contains just the sources specific to cygwin (the winsup
module). You'll still need the full sources from the latest beta (newlib,
libio, etc) or one of the cygwin-src-*.tar.gz files. cygwin1-*.dll.gz is a
compressed cygwin1.dll without debug information. cygwin-inst-*.tar.gz contains
fully installed cygwin tree (dll, utils, headers, libraries).
-END-QUOTE-

--- luca landi <llandi@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to have some information about the snap-shots.
>
> When I donwload a snap shot usually I have 4 directory.
>
> cygwin1.$(date).dll
> cygwin-inst-$(date)
> cygwin-src-$(date)
> winsup-src-$(date)
>
> 1.I dont'understand the difference beetwen winsup-src vs cygwin-src
> and beetwen cygwin1.$(date).dll vs cygwin-inst-$(date), what is the
> difference ?
>
> 2.What is the right procedures to install a snap-shot?
> I usually overwrite the old .exe and .dll  with the new..
> Is this correct?
>
> 3. How is possible to recompile a snap-shot.
>
> 4. Why the snapshot-19990115? Is it  a more stable snap-shot ?
>
> 5. And ....contain every snap-shot all the previous?
>

> Thanks for your precious help...
>
> Ciao Luca

=====
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>

Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)