RE: compilation problems

--- Cal Thorne <ct@rmorton.com> wrote:
> I just realized that I might not have explained the real problem very well.
> I've seen the problem come up in the following example.
>
> I ftp my source&makefiles from Unix to my Win PC.  The ftp program does a
> converion on the text files to make them compatible with DOS (which means
> changing a cr to a cr+lf).  [someone please correct me if I don't have that
> right]  So then, under Cygwin, I tar.gz my whole source tree and ftp it to
> another Unix box (yes, I've done this, please don't give me a hard time
> about it ;).  That transfer is done in Binary mode...no conversions done.
> If I try to make the program at this point, I'll get the same "missing
> seperator" message (same message I get if GNU make is not in my path before
> the native make).  Anyway, opening the file in vi reveals a '^M' at the end
> of each line...aparently this is the extraneous LF from DOS.  So I solve the
> problem by ftp'ing each text file individually in text mode if I go from
> Unix to DOS.

The simple "fix" is to set binary mode in the ftp client on the windows side.
Then the \n will persist and the tools will have no problem with this.  The
only thing I've found that doesn't like a file with UNIX style line endings is
"NotePad".

=====
Earnie Boyd <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>

Newbies, please visit
<http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html>

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)