RE: compiling a linux kernel

I don't know of any reason why you would want to do this.  The major hurdles
will be the libraries and runtimes.  Linux and Win32 OSes don't mesh very well
so therefore there is a different "libc" type of library named cygwin with it's
own set of headers.  As long as you get the appropriate libraries built and you
make certain that the headers for those libraries are used instead of the
headers from the cygwin package then, most likely it will be doable.  However,
it won't be an easy task as you'll need to test, test, test and retest.

GoodLuck,
Earnie.