question about pgcc-2.95-cygwin-v-1.tar.gz

Hello:

I have Cygwin v1, and downloaded pgcc-2.95.2-cygwin-v-1.tar.gz from
http://siddiqi.webjump.com.  I don't quite understand the suggested
installation instructions:

"I recommend installing in /cygwin/usr/local, instead of overwriting Code
Fusion Compiler which ships with Cygwin v 1.0.  Unpack the
pgcc-2.95.2-cygwin-v-1.tar.gz will give a /usr/local directory, move it to
/cygwin install directory and add /cygwin/usr/local/bin to your PATH. " --

The tar file has a directory structure with
cygwin/usr/{i686-cygwin,include,info,man}.  So the statement "unpack ...
will give a /usr/local directory"  doesn't seem to apply.  The execuables
are in cygwin/i686-cygwin/bin, and I don't quite see what directory moves
to make to turn that into /usr/local/bin (and still keep all other relative
paths OK.)

If I unpack under C:\ (i.e. /cygdrive/c), and add /usr/i686-cygwin/bin
to my PATH, many things seem to work, although I still must add
-I/usr/i686-cygwin/include to find standard headers.  My only mount is
to map C:\cygwin to /, as done by the cygwin installation script.  Are
you using other mount points to help find the correct files?

What doesn't work are *some* C programs that work fine under all other
compilers I've tried (cygwin-v1, gcc-2.95 for b20.1, many many Unices,
etc.);  these trap with an Exception: STATUS_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION message,
while many other similar programs run correctly.  I know you can't help with
such little info, but maybe if I get the installation correct, other
problems will go away....

...thanks....dac

p.s. We use openDX a lot, on both Windows and Unix.  Thanks for your efforts
on that!

David A. Case                     |  e-mail:      case@scripps.edu
10550 N. Torrey Pines Rd.         |  WWW: