windres within mingw32

When I use windres that comes with mingw32:
windres -i test.rc -o test.o -O coff

where, test.rc (and all other files) is:
0 ICON "test.ico"

, it pretends it is doing something but it just hangs there forever, the cursor blinking on the
line below the prompt, till I press Ctrl+C. It does this for any RC file. My cfg is Win98
PanEuro, and/or WinNT 4.0 SP5. The windres version is 2.9.4., the egcs is egcs-
2.91.66. Mingw32 distribution otherwise works fine. This is all in Win98 command or
WinNT 4.0 cmd shell.
When I didn't know what's wrong with it, I installed cygwin B20. If I start bash, and do the
same thing in bash with the windres that came with cygwin B20, everything's OK. And no,
I don't want to use the windres from cygwin B20 because what, I like everything light-
weighted.

What should I do?