Re: [GCC BUG] -I switch not functioning correctly.

On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 07:06:54PM -0600, Mumit Khan wrote:
>On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Chris Faylor wrote:
>
>> I don't know if anyone has noticed that you may not need dllwrap as much
>> in the CD release.  DJ added functionality to ld which should make it
>> a lot easier to build DLLs.  Essentially you can say something like:
>>
>> ld -shared -o foo.dll --export-all-symbols foo.o bar.o
>
>Actually, there's a very good reason why I never brought this up --
>it's because the --shared support in v1 ld has certain known problems
>that will generate lots of unnecessary bug reports. These problems
>have been fixed in the sourceware tree, but v1 was cut before that
>point.

Well, as an FYI, the DLL on the CD was linked using this method as
were all of the DLLs in the perl that was distributed on the CD.

>The problem has already been fixed, but not in v1. Search the binutils
>mailing list for "pe-dll". Patch submitted on 1999-06-25 and accepted
>on 1999-09-28. I believe there are a few other issues as well that
>have been fixed since (something about adding relocs to .exe that
>I vaguely remember running into while testing v1 after getting the
>CD).

This falls into the category of problems that could easily have been
rectified had I known they existed.  I guess I'd better start reading
the binutils mailing list.

>My suggestion is to use either (1) dllwrap, or (2) use ld/dlltool
>multiple times; (2) requires that you also remember to supply the
>correct entry point, which is automatically taken care of by
>dllwrap.

Hmm.  Personally, I'd still go with the simple 'ld -shared' method
as it seems that both 1) and 2) have drawbacks as well.

cgf