sh permission problem under win98

Hi all . . . .

  Looked everywhere - can't find or deduce solution.

 I run bash in a typical way - double clicking an icon created
 during cygwin installation.  It points to the cygnus.bat file.
 I'm running the beta 20.1.

 However, I have a problem that manifests itself during a make.
 My /bin/sh is there and it's not bash, but the borne shell from
 the distribution.

 Distilling the problem to take make out of the equation . . . .
 and make things simpler . . . problem show below.

 -Problem-
 BASH.EXE-2.02$ /bin/sh.exe
 $ mkdir xxx
 mkdir: permission denied
 --------

   I believe permissions are a moot point in win98, so I don't
 know why this is behaving that way.  Seems very simple, but
 . . . I just don't see it.

 $ ls > xxx functions just fine.

 Thanks,

 Rob Morris