Re: Permission denied with makeinfo from texinfo-4.0

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Chris Faylor wrote:

> This sounds correct to me.  Passing what is essentially a bogus argument
> for the buffer length is just wrong.  At the very least, it's subject to
> problems if the file size changes while you're reading it.  Admittedly
> this is an unusual occurrence but why not program for something like this
> and fail gracefully rather than core dumping?

fyi, the makeinfo bug is caused by a (undocumented of course) bug in Win32
ReadFile routine.

Here's what David Korn says when it showed up in UWIN as well:

  Yet some more bizarre undocumented win32 behavior.  If you call the
  Win32 ReadFile() function with size greater than 32K, and you are
  at the end of file, it does not return successfully with 0 bytes as
  you would expect, but fails with ERROR_NOACCESS.

This should be fixed in the runtime, but I have to find a reliable way
to detect this (since we have to differentiate between this buggy
behaviour and other legitimate causes of ERROR_NOACCESS).

Regards,
Mumit