Newbie question on paths

Hi,
I'm new to cygwin but used UNIX some years back (before BASH was available).

I've installed cygwin on my system (under NT) with no problems and everything runs.

However, I am unable to get it to recognise <current directory> as part of the path.  Hence if I have a "hello.exe" in the current directory, to run it I have to do "./hello", whereas "hello" by
itself cannot be found.

I tried various logical things to do with setting the PATH environment variable, but to no avail.

Could you tell me how to make this work?  Also if there's an equivalent file to the UNIX .bashrc file, where I could automatically set this up?

Regards,
Iain Strachan.