Re: Status of availability of features which allow correct and seamless support of DLLs in current GNU-Win32 releases

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 05:24:23PM +0300, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:

>>>     If I will put data symbols in defs myself for every X-Server,
>>> GNOME, KDE, etc. which I'm going to port, I will hardly port single.
>>> Which is exactly the current situation ;-)
>
>DD> An automated porting effort using DLLs with data is going to be hard
>DD> anyway.  Either way, you *must* modify the sources to understand that
>DD> the data is coming from the DLL, or it won't work.
>
>    Ha, that's the effect of stereotypes! It is at runtime, at the point of
>specific variable access the decision on how to access it should be
>unavoidably made: either access var directly or via extra level of
>inderection.

Um.  This sort of needs to be done at the time of the compilation or assembly.
Otherwise you have to give the linker understanding of x86 (or whaterver)
opcodes.

Do you think if it was really this easy, it wouldn't have been done this
way already?  Microsoft would have done this long ago.

cgf