How to undo damage caused by cygwin tool behavior

Through my own lack of attentiveness, I caused an installation of Cygwin
to be placed at the root of the D: drive of one of our servers (I had
been used to the practice of the older versions of installing themselves
with several layers of subdirectories under the real location of the
tools).  This caused lots of our operations to break (for example, make
and rcsdiff) because the Cygwin tools, in spite of the statement in the
FAQ to the contrary, appear to process text files in binary mode, and
then choke on the carriage returns that standard editing tools insert in
the Microsoft world.  Is there any way I can counteract this behavior,
or do I need to go back to the backup tapes and undo the damage by
removing the Cygwin tools from d:\bin?  I've looked through the docs,
and I found the information on CYGWIN and "nobinmode" but that didn't
seem to have any effect, whether I was in a COMMAND shell or a bash
shell (and yes, I did set CYGWIN before invoking bash).

Thanks.

Bob Kline