Re: File name syntax (WAS: RE: FW: Can not config sshd)

--- "Parker, Ron" <rdparker@butlermfg.com> wrote:
> > No, bash defaults HOME to / and then that get's prepended to
> > the path name
> > after it resolves the tilde character ~ sor ~/myfile bcomes
> > //myfile.  Now the
> > problem with //myfile is that // is translated to \\ and
> > \\myfile as a server
> > doesn't exist.  The time it takes to eventually time out is
> > directly related to
> > the number of domains your associated with * the timeout
> > period * the number of
> > retries.  This is the reason we now have /cygdrive instead of
> > using // to
> > denote an unmounted device/directory.
>
> Which makes me wonder would a patch to cygwin be welcome that did the
> following?
>
> * Make multiple introductory slashes on a path behave as a single
> introductory slash
> * Make paths that begin with name: and contain no backslashes behave as a
> network path
>
> In other words, "///myfile" would translate to "/myfile" and
> "machine:dir/file" or "machine:/dir/file" would map to the Windows path
> \\machine\dir\file.

Grand idea.  I like both of these.  I actually was thinking of bringing this up
on the developers list but you beat me to it.

There is/might be a problem in that your change isn't backward compatible and
although you as a developer have had /cygdrive syntax for sometime.  AFAICR
b20.1 had it or have I just forgotten what it had.

IMO, for the time being bash and sh should be changed to default to /home and
have setup create a /home directory.

Cheers,

=====
---