RE: File name syntax (WAS: RE: FW: Can not config sshd)

My prime concern with this is that would need to also patch make to
understand that
	server:share/path: server2:share2/path2
is a valid dependency rule (although I don't have the slightest idea of how
to do that unambiguously ;-|) ... or this would mean that we no more can use
cygwin for development...

I think I've understood that all this come from the fact that gnu tar accept
server:/path to access a tape drive on a remote system, using the "rmt"
daemon (and with nothing to do with NFS except that it use the same syntax
as the one use by "mount" to mount NFS file systems).

However there is no more places where we can use this syntax on UNIX: try to

	"ls server:/path"
and (at least with all UNIX systems I've tried this) you just get an error
:-)

So as cygwin is an UNIXonWIN32 layer, do NOT add a syntax that may broke
things and that is neither an UNIX syntax, nor a WIN32 syntax.

Just my 2 cents

		Bernard

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingéniérie