Re: Patch for path.cc

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 11:38:30AM -0400, David Bolen wrote:
>Chris Faylor [cgf@cygnus.com] writes:
>> Since we've recently made the change to cygwin to consider the
>> existence of a '\' as a Windows path, we are not going to be
>> applying this patch.  Sorry.
>
>Is this a hard decision forever or just the near term?  From my perspective,
>I think this would be a good enhancement to the current behavior.  You don't
>lose the Windows path processing in what I expect is the target case (that
>of actually being handed a Windows path using \), and you work better with
>those of us using Unix-like paths but sometimes getting automated/system
>additions which result in the occasional \.  In that vein it also lessens
>the potential deviation from earlier releases of the DLL.
>
>I'm not sure I see a downside (or a weakening of the intended Windows
>handling behavior) with this patch - is there something subtle I'm missing?

We have flushed out a few cases where there was incorrect path manipulation
with the recent change to cygwin.  There is no way that a UNIX program should
be mixing '\' and '/' but it does happen in tcl and in some places in libiberty.

This is usually an indication of something being broken that is being masked
by cygwin and I am sure that these kinds of things are responsible for the
occasional random reports that we see from people who are unable to open files.

I will take this up with the cygwin-developers mailing list but I don't see
any reason to change this behavior in the near term.

cgf