Re: shift: can't shift that many

Dan Holmsand wrote:

> Actually, I think cygwin's sh is quite right - xemacs' installexe.sh tries
> to shift three args where there's only two. Changing "shift 2" to just
> "shift" in line 12 gets rid of the error message.
>
> /dan

The following script:

  echo $#
  shift 3
  echo $#
  echo shifting two more:
  shift 2
  echo $#

Produces the following output for sh (ash) and bash:

  $ sh shiftest a b c d
  4
  1
  shifting two more:
  shift: can't shift that many
  1

  $ bash shiftest a b c d
  4
  1
  shifting two more:
  1

The only difference is the error message generated by ash.  The final
result is the same, the last shift did not change the argument count.

I don't think this is a bug in either of shells, unless you want to
count not printing an error as the bug.  It is a bug in the original
script, however.

--
Bob McGowan
Staff Software Quality Engineer