Re: naive question: gcc and glibc

On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 03:07:58PM -0700, Tim Prince wrote:
>I suppose it would be a large project to port glibc to cygwin.  Probably
>not even advisable to do the whole thing, as long as cygnus/redhat are
>maintaining newlib partly for this application.  I'd be happy to tackle
>certain parts in which I have an interest, if suitably motivated.  The
>ieeefp thing looks feasible.  There, I suppose we want to have the
>functions both under the names they have in glibc and the ones currently
>in the cygwin headers.  As we would likely end up with an add-on library
>which simply fits glibc components into cygwin, it's unlikely to be
>adopted as part of cygwin or newlib.

Mumit Khan has already ported glibc to Windows, sans cygwin.

>The subject of math functions and bringing x87 support into cygwin has
>been brought up before.  It has the same problem, apparently, of not
>being acceptable to newlib and therefore not wanted as a standard part
>of cygwin.  I hope I'm not mis-characterizing what was said, and
>actually I'd be happy to be wrong.

I don't know if you're wrong or not but I don't recall any discussion
like this and I can't imagine why anyone would turn away properly
written extra functionality in newlib.

However, I keep pointing out that the place for newlib discussions is
newlib@sourceware.cygnus.com.  Rather than speculate on what will or
won't be accepted, why not ask the actual maintainers?

cgf