Re: Moving to Usenet?

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 04:23:36PM +0200, Jonas Jensen wrote:
>Wouldn't it be an idea to move this mailing list to Usenet, rather than flooding
>everyone's e-mail address with 100+ mails every day? I think it would give some
>advantages:
>
>* Less traffic on people's inboxes.
>* Possibility of posting binaries/large code samples. If people don't want 'em,
>they don't have to download them.
>* Eaisier to keep an overview of threads, rather than all mails arriving in a big
>mess.
>
>I'm sure you've considered this before, why did you decide against this?

sources.redhat.com does not have the software, the capacity, or the
manpower to operate a news server.

However, if you think that this is a good idea, please do look into
setting up something like an alt.os.cygwin newsgroup.  I'll certainly
subscribe to this newsgroup if my ISP carries it.

Otherwise, you should probably look into using a more sophisticated mail
reader which can handle threads.  I use a combination of procmail and mutt
to break up my email into folders and organize it by threads.  I believe that
there are ports of both programs available for cygwin.

cgf