Debugging an Excel dll built with gcc under cygwin.1.1.0

I'm calling a dll built with gcc under cygwin.1.10 from Excel.
The dll works fine. However I would like to debug it with gdb.
How do I do it ?
I tried the following: Did not work;
gdb> attach 300          - pid of excel with worksheet open
gdb> dll a.dll               - load dll symbols
gdb> break a.c:1         !!! THIS DOES NOT WORK.

I built the dll following steps indicated in Mumits Win-32 gcc page.

Are the above steps correct? How do I debug the dll.
thanks
kumar

Kumar Neelakantan
CREDIT | FIRST
SUISSE | BOSTON
Asset Backed Research
Tel : 212.325.4879
Fax : 212.325.8109
Email : kumar.neelakantan@csfb.com

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.  No
If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all
sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
recipient. CREDIT SUISSE GROUP and each of its subsidiaries each reserve
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any
views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except
where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state
them to be the views of any such entity.
Unless otherwise stated, any pricing information given in this message is
indicative only, is subject to change and does not constitute an offer to
deal at any price quoted.
Any reference to the terms of executed transactions should be treated as
preliminary only and subject to our formal written confirmation.