Re: the $USER and $USERNAME in cygwin-1.1.3 undet NT 4.0/sp6

Christian Jönsson FOA wrote:

> I was just wondering about some things under cygwin. I am logged onto
> my WINNT system as user chj in the LIN domain. This user has
> privilages of administrator. However, when I start cygwin, I get the env
> variable USER to be administrör (which is Swedish for administrator).
> This, I suppose, is not quite what I should have.
>
> I would actually believe that I should have things done to the
> /etc/passwd and /etc/groups files buyt don't have much of a clue of
> what...
>
> CYGWIN=ntsec
> TERM=cygwin
> USER=administrat"r
> USERDOMAIN=LIN
> USERNAME=chj
> USERPROFILE=C:\WINNT\Profiles\chj
>
> and other thing, I simply tried to issue a passwd command, it failed
> stating no user chj, and there is, of course, no user chj defined in
> the /etc/passwd file. How do I create such an entry? And how do I
> "connect" it with the user chj in the domain LIN defined on the
> "NT-system"?

Try mkpasswd and mkgroup tools. Without parameters they print
a usage to the console.

For more information on NT security take a look into the ntsec
chapter in the online documentation:

	http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/docs

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.