Re: dlopen a.exe

On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 08:45:17PM -0700, Brian D. Carlstrom wrote:
>This is from a while back, I haven't been on the list for a while, but
>I'm trying to upgrade a tool called scsh from cygwin-b20 and I came
>across this:
>
>Chris Faylor wrote:
>> On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 11:32:36AM +0100, Jon Cook wrote:
>> > Can you use dlopen with the pathname set to 0 to open a.exe?
>> No.
>> cgf
>
>huh? This used to work, and is required for my tool unless I want to
>totally rework it. I copied all sorts of crap with dlltool and gcc
>-Wl,scshvm.exp from the tcl port, as well as hacking my autocong
>configure script.

Perhaps I misunderstood the question.  Take a look at the source code
for dlopen.  If you pass a NULL as the first parameter it returns a handle
to the current program, not an arbitrary program called "a.exe".

Regardless, you won't be able to retrieve anything with dlsym() unless
either the function/variable has been defined with the __declspec(dllexport)
attribute or you've included it in a linker .def file.

cgf

--
cgf@cygnus.com                        Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/         http://www.redhat.com/