Re: Where to find libintl?

On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 12:56:58PM +0400, Egor Duda wrote:
>AB> More precisely - when I check out module `winsup', I get *everything* that is
>AB> needed to build cygwin (including newlib and libiberty). When I said "Cygwin"
>AB> I actually meant "module winsup" :-)
>
>well,   this  means  that  someone with write access to sourceware cvs
>should add bfd and intl to module winsup. Chris?

Nope.  I'd actually made most of the dumper.exe building optional.  I just forgot to
include the linking part.  I just checked in a change to the Makefile for that.

>>> AB> ...

You have the sources.  You can hack them any way you like.

>>> i'm  using  bfd  from current cvs, and it works fine for me. i haven't
>>> build other binutils (objcopy, strip, ld) with it, though.
>
>AB> Which means, probably, your patched version.
>
>no,  my  patches  to bfd had been checked in some time ago. they're in
>main sources since 2000-01-10

In other words, I haven't put something in the repository which relies
on sources sitting on someone's machine in (I presume) Russia.  Surprise!

>AB> Again, this introduces yet another dependency from winsup to
>another module.

And, this is a bad thing, because...

>>> what  if i change utils/Makefile.in to make it skip building of dumper
>>> if it's prerequisites haven't been satisfied?
>AB> Hmm ... IMHO this utility actually belongs more to binutils and not to core
>AB> Cygwin. But as a temporary workaround - yes, please :-)
>
>hmm.  i think it's  too  platform-dependent  to  be included in binutils. it's
>closer to strace, than to ld

Absolutely.  It only works with the cygwin DLL.  It belongs with Cygwin.

FWIW, I checked in everything yesterday, intending to work more on making all of
this optional.  If you are going to be using the CVS sources, you should expect
occasional breakage.

cgf