Re: DLL naming conventions

On Sep  3, 2000, "Gary V. Vaughan" <gvv@techie.com> wrote:

>   * When installing a libtool (.la) library:
>       - libfoo.la goes to $prefix/lib
>       - libfoo<iface>.dll goes to $prefix/bin
>       - libfoo.dll.a goes to $prefix/lib
>       - libfoo.a goes to $prefix/lib

Nope.  libfoo.la goes wherever -rpath specified when the library was
created; it should be the same directory that is specified at install
time.  This is often $(libdir), but it doesn't have to be.

I don't know how to arrange for an additional directory (bindir) to
be specifiable without introducing an additional command-line option.
Remember, libtool doesn't know about prefix, libdir or bindir, it just
knows about what it's given in the command line.