Re: DLL naming conventions

Robert Collins wrote:

> There a path trick used in system integration on *metaframe/ NT Terminal
> Server* machines to keep dll hell to a minimum - I just remembered it...
>
> adding (windows path format) .\bin;..\bin;..\..\bin; to the front if your
> path allowed different applications to find different versions of dlls with
> the same name, the installer just moved the customised .dll to the farthest
> point in the path that did cause issues...
>
> maybe a similar trick could help? Although it doesn't get round the
> in-mmeory issue for win9x/nt 4.0 workstation & server

That would also address the synaptic gap caused because XNix and Cygwin do not
scan "current" first, while Windoz does.  I boot it quite often by typing
"scriptname" when I want a script that is in the current directory.
--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"Don't buy or use crappy software"