tar -C dir option makes dir relative to current dir

Hi All,

I have read all docs and couldn't solve my problem.  In a make file I have:
 cd foo && tar blah blah | tar -C j:/foobar

Now I run the make file from the l: drive (so l:/foo exists).

The problem is that when the tar on the right gets run, it tries to place
the files in the directory:
  /cygdrive/l/foo/j:/foobar
which of course isn't a valid directory.

I know I can solve it by not going over another filesystem, but that isn't
ideal.

Any ideas?  (I am running latest net release on W2K.  l: and j: are mapped
drives.  I also tried mounting them, didn't solve a thing. WinNT Ver 5.0
build 2195,
Cygwin DLL version i   dll major: 1001     dll minor: 4    dll epoch: 19)

Regards,
Jon