Re: libtool

On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 01:23:14PM -0400, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
> I don't believe the following behavior is possible in the current
> libtool. However, if it is, please correct me.

Nope.  How can libtool know what types of library an object will
eventually be linked with.

   libtool --mode=compile gcc -c foo.c -o foo.lo

Perhaps we could teach automake to analyse the make rules and pass
more details to libtool on the link line?  It would be quite a big
job, and I am no Perl hacker =(O|  We would need something like:

   libtool --mode=compile gcc -c foo.c -o foo.lo --links-with=libbar.la

Hmmm.  Even that is not enough.  automake would also need to analyse
the link command to determine whether the user has specified -static
to force static linking -- and probably a buch of other complications
I didn't consider.

> In the upcoming libtool (1.4?) it would be nice on cygwin/windows-ish
> platforms, if the libfoo.la file could instruct libtool that it may need
> different -Ddefines when compiling an object file that is to be linked
> to a static lib or to a dynamic lib (dll).

Have you seen the recipe I am using for m4-1.5?  Or in my snprintfv
library? (both available from my home page).  <shameless plug>I have
also written a chapter about using GNU autotools on Cygwin for the
forthcoming book `Autoconf, Automake and Libtool' from NewRiders,
which describes the systewm I use in some detail.</shameless plug>.

> For instance, on cygwin, if compiling/linking my-file.c and I want to
> link to libz statically, I need the following (when compiling/linking by
> hand, no libtool):
>
> gcc -c -DZLIB_STATIC -o my-file.o myfile.c
> gcc -static -o my-file.exe my-file.o -L<path> -lz
>
> If I want to link dynamically, I need:
>
> gcc -c -o my-file.o myfile.c
> gcc -o my-file.exe my-file.o -L<path> -lz
>
> That is, both the compile and the link steps are different.  Is it
> possible for this information to be embedded in libfoo.la (libz.la in
> this case) -- so that libtool knows that 'statically linked packages
> that depend on libz must have -DZLIB_STATIC in the compile step', while
> 'dynamically linked packages that depend on libz need no special
> -Ddefines in the compile step'.
>
> Similarly, you need -DPNG_STATIC for libpng, -DJPEG_STATIC for libjpeg,
> etc...

At the object level, often it is only the developer who really knows
exactly which combination of libraries a module will eventually link
with.  And even they may not be sure which combination is present on
one of their user's machines at install time.  You are correct in that
this would be a nice feature -- but it is only necessary for Win32
systems, and is *a lot* of work, so don't hold your breath.

Cheers,
	Gary.
--
  ___              _   ___   __              _         mailto: gvv@techie.com
home page:  /___/                      /___/                  gpg public key:
http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk           http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk/key.asc