What am I doing wrong?

Hello,
  I am trying to compile C++ software done under Visual Studio
on Windows 2000 to cygwin.  I am new to cygwin.

  I need to include windows.h, winsock2.h in my code.
  I have simple functions such as lseek, close, read and write in the code.
  I cannot include io.h because I compile with g++ -ansi and
  the define _STRICT_ANSI won't allow prototypes for these functions
  to be set.  Don't know why, they are pretty common.

  I tried to find out elsewhere they are prototyped in cygwin, and it looks
like unistd.h.
  So I included unistd.h.

   When I try to compile including unistd.h I get a conflict between
  the definitions of gethostname between unistd.h and winsock.h..
  What is the secret to getting ansi code to compile under cygwin?
  Any help would be greatly appreciated,

  Deb Snow

  Analysis & Technology
  Engineering Technology Center