Console output oddity

I have noticed a very odd behaviour when I am sending a large amount of
output to the console screen.
If I "cat" a large text file in a bash window it takes about 20 times
longer than if I "type" the same file in a DOS window. If I press and
hold down the CONTROL, SHIFT or ALT key as soon as the "cat" is started
then it runs about 4 times as fast. (If I hold the key down while
starting the "cat" it runs at the lower speed but the speed increases if
I release the key and then press it again.)
A simple C program which just loops printing a counter to stdout can be
speeded up by a factor of about 4 by holding down a key while it runs.
It can be speeded up by a factor of about 20 by compiling it with the
"-mno-cygwin" switch.
Can anyone offer an explanation?
--
Keith Fielding