Erroneous error message from sshd

sshd works 99.999% perfectly for me, but there's one tiny little problem.
Every time I log on, I get an error message:

Last login: Mon Oct 16 13:34:43 2000 from mortgage.haas.berkeley.edu
Fanfare!!!
You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
Could not chdir to home directory : No such file or directory
$

I believe the error text regarding the chdir problem is actually inside
sshd.exe.

.profile does a cd to a directory that does exist, and moreover successfully
changes to that directory, but still I get the error message. It's not a
major problem, I agree, but how can I stop it being displayed?

Richard Stanton