Re: ps output format

At 23:23 10/18/00 -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>I don't see much difficulty in parsing the output now, actually.

true, once you know what you're doing... I've seen a lot of people
write scripts that would have choked on that output you had above,
simply because they saw formatted output and started making assumptions,
where as if they'd seen colon separated values.. well cut -d ':' would
become a much more heavily used script construct. Often picking up those
scripts and moving them between *nix platforms has been a royal pain
in the past, not only do you have to deal with the myriad of conflicting
command line options, and the different ordering, but also that sometimes
a field is 4 chars, and others it could be 10. This could *all* be solved
if there was ONE switch across all ps implementations that output a simple
csv style out put that could be accessed with a simple hlookup style of
argument. ok, so I'm off in left field smoking crack and picking daises...