Problems with slang?

Hello List:

I'm playing with a package that requires slang.

slang has instructions on building against Cygwin, which I follow:

1. Use mkmake in the src/mkfiles directory:

mkmake WIN32 CYGWIN32 <makefiles.all >Makefile

2. Copy the makefile into the src directory.

3. Run make from that directory.

The slang package seems to build without errors.  However, when I try to link
against libslang.a, I get "unresolved symbol in libslang.a" with errors
pointing back to the original slang sources.

The errors seem to be in reference to SLCurse.  I can provide the specifics,
but it certainly seems like slang requires ncurses.

Can anyone confirm whether or not this is the case.

I'm willing to allow for the possibility that slang's build instructions are
simply wrong for the current version of Cygwin, and take any other porting
suggestions that anyone may offer.

Charles