Re: vivian hunt

At 01:31 PM 10/30/2000, Vivian Hunt wrote:
>Dear sir/madam
>   I recently downloaded cygwin from your site. I have several files =
>with the extension .tar and these are
>opened in winzip, which won't open them for me. Can you tell me which =
>software does please.
>
>           e-mail:    vivianhunt85@hotmail.com

Although using WinZip is highly discouraged for any tarballs downloaded,
it should be able to open them without difficulty.  If it cannot, this
means that the files you downloaded are corrupted in some way.  You should
download them again, making sure you do so in binary mode, and insure that
the file name is <package name>.tar (or more likely <package name>.tar.gz).
These are best installed by setup.exe but if you want/need to open/install
them yourself, you'll want to use tar.exe which comes with Cygwin (yes, I
realize this implies a chicken-and-egg syndrome if you don't have Cygwin
installed already... that's why setup exists!;-))