Re: Using Cygwin with Windows 2000

I am no expert on this issue, but, ...

I have ported one big thing and lots of little things. I have also built a
number of GNU utilities on Win2K. Gernally, if it
compiles with gcc on Linux, it will compile on CYGWIN gcc. Most of the
utilities I have compiled and run on CYGWIN have
already been configured to compile on CYGWIN (the configure shell script
knows about CYGWIN). You will have to deal
with  some incompatibilities (CR-LF versus LF, forward slash versus
backslash) even though CYGWIN minimizes these issues.
Also, if the program is performance intensive, you might want to write a
few test programs excercising those API's of most
interest to find out if the performance will be an issue.

XaoS (Real Time Fractal Zoomer) seems to perform quite acceptably compiled
with CYGWIN gcc. The resulting performance seems
indistinguishable from a Microsoft cl.exe compiled XaoS.exe (I have done
both). Finally, the same source code compiles and runs on
Linux. So unless your app is truely performance critical, CYGWIN might be
your best bet.

Ed Bradford

Your Windows 2000 Arborist
T/L 589-4410; Outside: 1-919-993-4410