RE: Some domain groups not found by 'mkgroup --domain'

I'm not sure exactly how to provide an example -- the situation simply exists.
However, I've been poking around in the MSDN documentation, and I've found some
information that might shed some light on this issue. The link below (sort of)
describes local network groups vs. global network groups and the API functions
associated with managing local network groups. It's definitely something that
exists in both W2K & NT4, because our servers are all NT4, although I have W2K
on my workstation.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/network/ntlmapi_952r.htm

Here's the definition of a local group from the above link:

"A local group can contain user accounts or global group accounts from one or
more domains. (Global groups can contain users from only one domain.) A local
group shares common privileges and rights only within its own domain."

As an example of the difference in the APIs, he function for getting a list of
local groups is "NetLocalGroupEnum", while the function for getting a list of
global groups is "NetGroupEnum".

Does that help any?

Rick Rankin
rick_rankin@yahoo.com