Debugging cygwin1.dll

I am certain I have seen this on the mailing list before, but I cannot
seem to find it.  Could somebody please summarize tips for debugging
cygwin1.dll.  I have several specific questions.  If somebody would care
to answer them, I would be very grateful.

1) Do all of the various _printf calls in the source (debug_printf(),
syscall_printf, etc...) wend their way to strace, or do they go
somewhere else?  If they go somewhere else, how can I capture them?

2) If I wanted to step into cygwin calls with GDB, (how) can I do that?

3) I have successfully built cygwin1.dll from the CVS snapshot.  If I
want to try it, do I have to exit all of my cygwin apps, install it in
/bin, and then restart my cygwin apps?  Or can I run a specific cygwin
app using my new DLL without going through all of this?

If the answers to these questions are in the mailing list archive
somewhere, please feel free to tell me, and I will go dig them out
myself.

Thanks for any pointers you can give me.

--wpd