Re: MSVCRT and Cygwin runtime

At 10:51 AM 12/5/2000, Luke Ross wrote:
>Hi
>
>I'm quite new to cygwin so please forgive me if this is a bit of a silly
>question.  I'm currently compiling a perl-enabled application, and I want
>to link it against ActivePerl.
>
>The program has calls to the usual Unix functions (eg
>fork() select() etc), so I compiled it under cygwin without trouble, but
>when I want to link in Perl it all fails as the cygwin linker can't get to
>grips with perl56.lib.
>
>Using suggestions on the web, I tried using link.exe from VCC, by linking
>the .lib, libcygwin.a and the object files, but it complained that there
>was no msvcrt routine, I think because Perl was linked using MSVCRT.  I
>tried linking all of the above with the msvcrt library from VCC, which
>produced an executable that dies on startup with a memory read error.
>
>I've seen suggestion that MSVCRT and the cygwin runtime don't get on very
>well - is there any way to build what I want to without doing a
>cygwin-perl build (undesireable as it breaks everything else I have with
>embedded perl).
>
>TIA,
>
>Luke

Cygwin provides its own C runtime, so its not possible to link an application
that pulls in Cygwin's runtime with something that will pull in MS's.  You'll
need to either get everything built with Cygwin or port the UNIX aspects of
your code to Win32 and compile with Mingw or Cygwin a-la -mno-cygwin.