RE: xterm-like terminal emulator

> You assume too much.  Unless you changed /bin/sh on your system to be a
> copy/link of bash, /bin/sh != /bin/bash.  You're getting /bin/sh with your
> attempt.  /bin/sh is ash by default which has none of the features you're
> trying to use.

That was the problem.  However, copying bash to sh does not fix
the problem completely.  When you run bash as "sh" it behaves
like sh - it doesn't read .bash_profile or .bashrc.

I have my shell set up as /bin/bash in /etc/passwd,
but I guess that rxvt does not honor this.

So I finally figured out why this works:
	bash --noprofile --norc -c "rxvt -ls -fn Courier-13"
Bash is running rxvt which then runs bash instead of sh.
It does this because bash sets the SHELL variable, which
rxvt looks at to decide the shell to run.  So I set it manually
instead and my problems are solved.  Here is my new BAT script:
	@echo off
	C:
	chdir \cygwin\bin
	set SHELL=/bin/bash
	rxvt -fn Courier-13 -sr -ls -title bash
Perhaps we should add this to the FAQ somewhere.
I am using rxvt from http://www.io.com/~bub/rxvt.html

Thank you to everyone for your help.
- Dan