Strange PWD result from "Cwd::chdir y:/dir"

At the end of this, I have a little Perl test script called
"chdirtest".

All it does is record the single command-line argument, assume that is
a directory name, and do a "chdir" to that, then prints the value of
$PWD (it also prints $PWD before the chdir), and runs "ls".

I enclose here some shell output from running this.

-----------------------------------
[POPCORN;] chdirtest /tmp
PWD[/cygdrive/d/dmk/java]
dir[/tmp]
PWD[/tmp]
t4204.0
t461e.0
t4a91.0
t4a94.0
t4a99.0
[POPCORN;] chdirtest y:/java
PWD[/cygdrive/d/dmk/java]
dir[y:/java]
PWD[/cygdrive/d/dmk/java/y:/java]
bad.lst
good.lst
lost+found
stuff
total.lst

The first attempt is changing to the directory "/tmp".  The
PWD value and the directory contents are correct.

The second attempt is changing to the directory "y:/java".  The
directory contents are correct, but the PWD value is screwy.  Is it
supposed to look like this, or is there something wrong here?