Re: [OT] Using cygwin to make C++ DLL's to link with MSVC++

Hi folks,

On 23 Jan 2001, at 14:56, the Illustrious Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Christopher Faylor wrote:

> > >This has nothing at all to do with Cygwin.  Please don't advertise
> > >proprietary software on this list.  If you want to continue to enjoy
> > >the Cygwin list please take my advice.
> >
> > That's a little harsh, Earnie.  This was a direct request to a query.
> > It's actually of some interest to us here, too, since if MKS can do
> > this that means we can too.
> >

> Ok, sufficiently put back in my place.  As far as our being able to do
> that too, wouldn't that just require building Cygwin with VC++?

	In fact, if you set your VS to Ansi Standard, there would be no
problems except with the MS standards(not sure exactly how these are
defined for their compiler, only know that they do provide an option
for (strict) Ansi Standard...however, and this is fairly typical of MS,
they are not inclined to support ANSI standards unless those standards
in some way support their proprietary standards (I am remembering back
to the VS4 and earlier MS standards -- it may be that MS is now more
supportive of Ansi standards than they were...though I have yet to see
this with my own eyes; under VS6, they did not support Ansi standards
without the developer having to reset their MS compiler).

	Peace,

		Paul G.

ps. Was almost forced to recompile Cygwin b20 using VS6...not fun,
believe me.  Finally, it became clear, it was far easier to simply
download b20 binaries and use those instead.

Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.